Finding the right school for your student can be quite a challenge. Many have found boarding to be an excellent choice, but false impressions about boarding schools still persist. The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS) commissioned a study comparing boarding school experiences to both public and private day school experiences. They found that:
- Boarding students report being surrounded by motivated peers more than do students of private day and public school.
- Boarding students say that their boarding experience helped them build self-discipline, independence and maturity.
- More boarding students report that their school is academically challenging than do students of either public or private day schools.
- They spend more time on homework per week than do their private day- and public-school counterparts.
- They also spend more time with teachers, faculty and coaches, and less time watching television.
- Graduates report being “very well prepared academically” at rates higher than students public and private day schools.
- All in all, 95% of boarding students surveyed reported being “satisfied” or “very satisfied” with their educational experience.(Report found at:www.ismoshi.org/boarding_truth.pdf).